What is polyamory? Well, it’s simple. Poly = many + amory = loves
I’ve noticed that here are several clichés that come to mind when monogamous people are faced with this issue or phenomenon. There’s the Mormon image – underage girls in long braids and prairie dresses. There’s the “playboy” – the man with a harem of girls just waiting to satisfy his every sexual whim. And then there’s, “Oh that’s just a hippie thing from the 60s and 70s.”
This happens to be a topic that I have some experience with so I’m going to do my best to present an honest picture of what contemporary polyamory is about – the good and the bad.
More specifically, the posts will attempt to answer/address these points:
- What kind of person is attracted to this lifestyle?
- Is it a legitimate lifestyle choice?
- Are women being taken advantage of?
- Cross-over with other lifestyles/communities: LGBT, BDSM, Paganism, etc.
- Jealousy and other complications
- The many relationship structures
- Long term polyamory and the family
- Acceptance in society